RPS Distinction Course
Are you interested in gaining a photographic distinction?
The Royal Photographic Society exists to promote photography and image-making and to support photographers in realising their potential, irrespective of their level of knowledge, equipment or skills.
Having supported many clients through a journey of development and improvement, with their photography, over the past few years, this new course is for those who already technically competent (or at least are on the path to mastering it) and are able to demonstrate good design and composition in their photography.
You are not expected to be a master or even polished to attend. This course is to help support you in improving in all three areas of image production:
- Technical - The mechanics of it
- Creativity - The reason for it
- Output - The editing and publication of it
Prerequisites for attending
This course is aimed at Intermediate Level Photographers who have completed the 5wk Beginners & Lightroom Courses or have equivalent skills and knowledge already.
You will be expected to understand and demonstrate or be willing to learn;
- Good exposure of photographs
- Good compositional awareness
- A range of techniques and styles (L)
- Ability to edit images to a "reasonable" standard.
Over the course of 12 months, where you will attend six classes at intervals suited to you, there will be professional input, feedback and support to help you progress towards either the A or L distinction with the RPS.
Whilst the success of a distinction cannot be guaranteed, every effort will be made to ensure you enter only when ready and once feedback has been received from a number of qualified persons.
There will also be an option to extend the course beyond twelve months if required.
LICENTIATE OF THE RPS (LRPS)
Requires 10 images which reflect your ability as a photographer.
ASSOCIATE OF THE RPS (ARPS)
Requires a body of work/project of 15 images of a high standard and a written Statement of Intent.
- Places x 12 - Typically 3-4 attendees per class
- You can enrol whenever it suits you as classes will be ongoing every month.
Distinction Group - Format and Tuition
- Small group setting at my home - Coventry
- Images projected on to large TV screen
- Dropbox used for updated portfolios and images
- Group collaboration and sharing
- 2hr-2.5hrs - 7pm - 9:30pm on monthly basis - Option to attend/leave when it suits you
- Advice on individual basis throughout
- Support for panel ideas, layout and coherence
- Technical and creative critique with suggestions for improvement
- Support for L and A panel submissions process
- Support for DPI or Printing quality and formats
- Support for RPS Advisory Days
- Consider if an RPS Distinction is something you want to achieve
- Consider if you can commit to up to six classes over the next 12 months
- Consider if you can make the time to shoot the images needed for a panel
- Consider the benefits of being in a distinctions group and collaborating/learning
- Consider how this process will develop you and your photographic skills/knowledge
If you feel answered positively to those five considerations then this is a good opportunity for you to enrol in this programme.
Please feel welcome to contact me first if you would like to discuss your suitability.
Participants can enrol and join for 12 months at different times (up to a maximum of 12 at any time), this helps to ensure that monthly classes have sufficient attendees to run.
Next classes set for;
- Fri 2nd Mar
- Wed 7th Mar
- Thu 5th Apr
- Mon 16th Apr
- Fri 27th Apr
- Mon 14th May
- Tue 15th May
- Mon 4th Jun
- Fri 22nd Jun
- Tue 10th Jul
- Tue 17th Jul
- Tue 7th Aug
- Wed 29th Aug
- Wed 12th Sep
- Mon 1st Oct
- Tue 9th Oct
- Wed 7th Nov
- Thu 29th Nov
- Mon 10th Dec
- Thu 13th Dec
- Fri 4th Jan 2019
All classes will be evenings 7pm-9:30pm
Choose six classes in a 12 month period to suit your pace and availability
It is anticipated that there will be two date options a month to ensure an even distribution of attendees and provide flexibility for days of week/time of month.
This course will improve your photography through creating consistent standards and look and feel to your images. This "may" result in an RPS Distinction which will show you achieved this stnadard.
- Please read my terms and conditions before booking as you will be bound by them upon receipt of money paid.
- Cancellation less than 4wks prior to event date - no refund
- No show on the event - loss of place/money
- Rebooking fee applies for changing course date if less than 4 weeks before event date or for re-booking a missed class that was not notified.
Included with the class
- Class booklet/notes
- Tea & Coffee
You will need a DSLR, a computer with Lightroom on at home.
How you will learn
Alan is passionate about photography and a qualified photography tutor. He will engage you in discussion and be more than willing to answer as many questions as possible on the night.
You will be given constructive feedback on the night for you to takeaway and implement on existing and new images.
Alan will use Lightroom and NIK to help demonstrate editing adjustments and ideas and will discuss the merits of individual images and portfolio/panel suitability.
Where do I go from here?
Sign up now and you've taken the first step.
Most clients mix this classroom based course with a mixture of practical workshops, mentoring and other events.