Photography Masterclass Series
These photography classes are bite-sized lessons on specific topics. They range between two and three hours and run on an ongoing 8 week cycle. Classes will held in one of three locations, Kenilworth, Coventry or Solihull, depending on the demand.
They suitable for any level of photographer but it is advised that you attend in the order listed or at least have a good understanding of the first modules before going onto complete the more specialised classes.
These are the perfect refresher class and are also suitable for anyone who has already attended a photography course with myself as each class contains new material and we are able to get more in-depth on specific topics and brush up on your areas of understanding.
Each class is approximate 2-3hrs and runs on a weekday evening on a rolling 10-12 week basis. Locations for the classes will be set based on the preferences of those booking so the dates, days and locations listed may be subject to change to suit who has booked.
- Get off Automatic Mode - Exposure Explained
- Creative Composition - Develop your creative eye and understanding
- DSLR Craft - Get to grips with Metering, Focusing, White Balance and more
- Filters & Bracketing - Understand Dynamic Range and RAW Vs JPG
- Getting started with Adobe Lightroom an introduction and basic walkthrough
- Portrait Photography - Learn how to take better portrait photos
- Black & White Photography - Understand the visual building blocks of mono
- Landscape Photography - Art of the landscape - a visual guide
- Macro - Close-up Photography - Theory and practical workshop
- Image sharing - final refinement, exporting, sizing, framing and uploading/selling
- How to get organised and stay organised in Lightroom
- Creative editing - An introduction and masterclass in NIK plug-ins suite
- How to choose and setup up your DSLR and use it effectively
- Camera and kit care - a complete walkthrough and best practise advice
- Photo Critiques - Bring your photos for Alan to review and critique.
Classes can be booked individually or book a block to receive a discount. Dates can be arranged to suit so no need to take classes consecutively when booking a block.
You can also book photo critique nights to follow up an earlier masterclass and share your photos with Alan for feedback and critique.
4. Filters & Bracketing
This photography class will explain how to expand the dynamic range of light recorded and improve tonal range in your photos through the use of filters and or bracketing your shots.
Alan will talk you through why getting a good exposure is essential and how to achieve that with simple techniques in camera. You will learn what different filters can do to improve things and how to use them, plus the advantages of bracketing your shots to capture a larger dynamic range of light.
How you will learn
- The class will be delivered by Alan using Adobe Lightroom and a projector.
- You will see examples of images, using filters and bracketed exposures.
- You will see how to merge your bracketed exposures in software.
- Max 8 places for the class
- Reading the Histogram
- Dynamic range
- Tonal Range
- Filters - their use
- Bracketing technique
- Merging bracketed exposures
Note paper and pen
Venue & attendance
- The class will run at Solihull/Kenilworth if 5-8 attendees
- The class will run at home in Coventry if less than 5 attendees
Is this for me?
This class is suitable for any level of photographer from complete beginners to experienced as Alan demonstrates how anyone can use bracketing on their camera and then merge the images. You will also discover what each filter contributes to an image.
- You will understand what filters to buy and when to use them.
- You will have a greater understanding of exposure
- You will learn how to merge your bracketed shots.